Applications Currently Being Invited for this Position
Closing Date: 12 midnight Monday 30 May
About the role
The Riverlea Environment Society Inc. (RESI) has the opportunity to grow its involvement in restoring the Hammond Park Bush and its immediate surroundings in Riverlea, Hamilton. The coordination and drive for this expanded involvement will be largely provided by a part-time project co-ordinator responsible to the RESI Committee. Continuation of this work beyond a year is seen by the Committee as essential to consolidate long-term gains, but this will depend on accessing further funding.
The contract is for 400 hours work at $25 per hour ($10,000). Hours worked per week are negotiable with the Committee.
Contractor duties and responsibilities
Engagement with adjoining neighbours
- Maintain the database of owners/residents whose properties adjoin Hammond Park
- Consult and develop rapport wherever possible with residents whose properties adjoin Hammond Park Bush. Encourage them to clear exotic weed species and replace with natives where appropriate. Provide or obtain advice on the best methods to achieve this. Consult with Hamilton City Council as to the types and numbers of plants to suit the location.
- Help residents source native plants and advise on plant placement as required.
- Maintain regular contact with owners including advice and encouragement re ongoing pest control.
- Obtain email contact details for newsletters, and to encourage participation in RESI working bees where appropriate.
- Advise and engage residents about pest control and assist with the Pest-Free Riverlea initiatives when needed.
- Maintain detailed records of interactions with residents and RESI support offered and fulfilled.
- Prepare funding applications to further the work of RESI in conjunction with the RESI Treasurer and Committee
- Complete accountability reports for funders when due
- Maintain records of funding applications and related information.
- Build community engagement with conservation and pest control initiatives
- Increase attendance at working bees and involvement with RESI
- Attend monthly working bees
- Contribute relevant articles to the RESI newsletter.
Co-ordination with RESI
- Extend work to Mangaonua Stream area if time and energy permit
- Complete monthly reports on progress to the RESI Contracts Subcommittee and attend RESI meetings as requested
- Provide information to update relevant RESI website pages.
Skills and experience
Our ideal candidate will have
- People and relationship building skills
- Flexibility – there may be some weekend and evening work at times
- The ability to see the big picture and the detail
- A high degree of motivation, organisation and self discipline
- Time management skills
- Basic word processing and spreadsheet computer skills
- Knowledge of ecosystems, gully restoration, pest control or native plants
- A passion for the environment, restoration and making a difference.
Preferred, but not essential:
- Prior experience with conservation/restoration projects.
Hamilton’s Riverlea suburb is home to residential housing, an industrial area and a stunning patch of native bush that is Hamilton’s most diverse forest remnant.
We are a not-for-profit group run by volunteers. Our objectives are to protect and enhance the environmental and other amenity values of our local area.
To learn more about RESI visit our Facebook page.